PostCast - Mailing List Management Software
Home Buy Download Details Support
PostCast Forums 
Home
Login Register Member List
  » PostCast Forums   » PostCast Suggestions/Feedback   » Postcast to run as Windows 200...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Postcast to run as Windows 2000 service
Author
Forum Member
Forum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Active: 8/12/2002
Hi,

i tried to start PostCast as service with ApptoService but the only thing i get when I start the service is Runtime error 0. Can someone help me, because i want to install it on a server and i dont like to login befor using PostCast?

Regards
Bernd Ehlert-------------------------------
A joke a day @ [URL=http://www.zu-doof.de]www.zu-doof.de[/URL]
-------------------------------
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/16/2002 6:00 AM
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Advanced Members
Active: 3/7/2010
You can probably solve the problem with the scheduled Task option in windows 2000/NT.

Create a new task that starts PostCast Server with administrator account and in the Security tab give rights to the user accounts (non administrative) you want to have access to the program. Configure the task to run on logon.

If everything is OK, PostCast Server will run as administrator in a non-administrative user account.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/16/2002 7:52 AM
Forum Member

Group: Forum Members
Active: 10/16/2002
In order to have Postcast automaticly start at boot - meaning without having to logon you can use a utillity(2 executables) from the NT4 resource kit.(works fine with both NT4 and WIN2k)
The resource kit comes with a site license, so if your has a license you can freely use it on any server.
If you cant locate the cd you can download it from tons of sites - just search for instsrv.exe and srvany.exe ;-)
They are pretty easy to use but involves at bit knowledge about registry editting..

Read the readme-file delivered with srvany.exe for the details

Here the steps involved:
1) put srvany.exe some where permante in your filesystem,
fx. "c:\Program Files\PostCast 2\service\"
2) use instsvr.exe to create a service for starting postcast.
fx.
C:\instsrv.exe PostCast "c:\Program Files\PostCast 2\service\srvany.exe"

3) go into the controlpanel, services and
alter the preferences for the new service(postcast) to:
Logon as administrator
(important - if postcast is started as localsystem it will not have priviledges to communicate over the internet.)
Change the service to start automaticly.
4) enter the registry editor and put in the entries (min 2) as specified in the readme-file.

Now it should start automaticly.

NOTE: If you want to bring up the Postcast GUI,
you'll have to kill the postcast.exe process otherwise a second one will be running and I have no idea what kind of complications what could give.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 1 - 3 messages found
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »